Re: rdist

Rafi Sadowsky (rafi@tavor.openu.ac.il)
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 15:15:40 +0200 (IST)

*Hobbit* wrote:

> Funny, I just pulled virtually the same script out of a packet dump
> last last week and was going to send it in.  In this case they called it
> "rd.s" and most of the comments were gone except for one at the top
> claiming it had been written by "Yo Man!" ...
>
> The gracious providers of this script, once having used it, were apprehended
> in the process of scanning several places with "rpcinfo" looking for X.25
> links [or whatever the x25.inr RPC service is].
>
> _H*

"historical" note

this script was used to break in to an Ultrix machine here in aug 92
the guy opened an account for himself with a username of "yo"
so he probably was genius who originated it ....
(yo is short for yonatan - which is the hebrew version Jonathan -his nam )
at the time he was a student at Ben-Gurion Uni (bgu.ac.il in Beer-Sheva, Israel)
and part of a (then) quite active cracking group there

he went up for a disciplinary hearing at BGU and got of quite lightly
(the police said there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute ...)

	Rafi

P.S. I still have a .tar.Z file of his dir with cracking tools
there was the rdist script  + crack-4.1 + the
usual assormtment of utmp/wtmp editing tools +
a c prog for capturing passwds with following comment in the header
-
/* when run from a shell-escape in /bin/mail, this program is able to
   read any password given to su, telnet, rsh by any user.

   Works on Ultrix 4.0-4.2 with no mods
*/
-
the whole bundle was sent off to CERT of course...
I didn't notice any announcments about a fix for this one -
although it didn't seem to work trivialy under Ultrix 4.2A(rev 47)
and I don't have too much time too play with it ( it reads /dev/{k,}mem )

--
| Rafi Sadowsky                 | rafi@tavor.openu.ac.il                |
| Comp.Sci. dept                |-[also postmaster@openu.ac.il]---------+
| Open University of Israel     | Voice: +972-3-6460592                 |
| Tel-Aviv, Israel              | Fax:   +972-3-6460483                 |